Events for November 2013
- Discussion of the 11th Query11:00 am
- Meeting for Business11:00 am
- Craft Night at the Meetinghouse7:00 pm
- Growing into Paradox11:00 amConnie Webster will report her experience with the following workshop. The Future of Friends: Growing into Paradox- Tom GatesSpiritual truth often takes the form of a paradox: a statement that seems contradictory or inconsistent, but when seen from a different frame, is deeply true. Our thesis is that a vital Quakerism for the future will depend on our willingness to affirm “both / and” rather than “either / or.” Among the specifically Quaker paradoxes we might explore are the creative tensions between: individual and community; continuing revelation and tradition; witness and prayer; complacency and transformation; God as Immanent and God as Transcendent; Jesus as Son of Man and Jesus as Son of God. The workshop will encourage Friends to think more clearly and deeply about aspects of our past heritage as Friends, which in turn will help us to adapt and grow in a changing world.
- Growing into Paradox11:00 am
- Mindfulness Training: True Happiness11:00 amAware of the suffering caused by exploitation, social injustice, stealing, and oppression, I am committed to practicing generosity in my thinking, speaking, and acting. I am determined not to steal and not to possess anything that should belong to others; and I will share my time, energy, and material resources with those who are in need. I will practice looking deeply to see that the happiness and suffering of others are not separate from my own happiness and suffering; that true happiness is not possible without understanding and compassion; and that running after wealth, fame, power and sensual pleasures can bring much suffering and despair. I am aware that happiness depends on my mental attitude and not on external conditions, and that I can live happily in the present moment simply by remembering that I already have more than enough conditions to be happy. I am committed to practicing Right Livelihood so that I can help reduce the suffering of living beings on Earth and reverse the process of global warming.
- Mindfulness Training: True Happiness11:00 am